5.29.2012

Meanwhile in Montana..

So Friday night, it was suggested that we should drive the five hours up to Missoula, Montana so Haley could see an old friend that would meet her there halfway. I figured, what the heck..I have nothing else to do! So the road trip was planned. We stocked up on snacks, gas, music, pillows/blankets and left early Saturday morning. The drive there was so fun and SUCH a beautiful one too!
We got to Missoula around 1:30 so we changed and did our makeup while we waited for Cory to arrive. When he did, we parked and walked around downtown Missoula in the shopping district. It's such a cute little town, and kinda had a "Gilmore Girls" type of feel. I loved it! We ended up choosing the Uptown Diner to eat, which seriously felt like I had stepped back in time into the 50's. 
Afterward, we walked around the town a little bit and then Cory and Haley went off together so me and Kenz spent the rest of the day exploring!!! We looked up the top 25 attractions in Missoula and tried to do as much as we could in the few hours we were there.
First on the list was the "A Carousel for Missoula" which is a carousel (obviously) where every single horse or chariot is hand carved and painted. Apparently Sunday was it's birthday, so we got to ride for free! Lucky day!
Next stop was the tattoo parlor!!! (You think I'm kidding....I'm not) No, we didn't get tattoos but Kenzi DID get her cartilage pierced. She figured, there's no better time than the present! And as I always say, "when in Montana, do as the Montanan's do..." (okay, I've never said that before but I did a lot on Saturday) She didn't even flinch. I was so proud.
After we left feeling rebellious, we headed up to the University of Montana campus to walk around and explore. There was an "M" on the mountain and a trail that led up to it so we decided to take a little hike (and by little, I mean we couldn't even make it 1/4 up the mountain. We blamed the altitude.) to see the city of Missoula from up high. It was overcast and hazy, and BEAUTIFUL. Such a pretty town! Side note: the people there were SO friendly. Almost everyone waved, smiled and said hello :)
Before heading out, we drove around the residential areas of Missoula. I was in love with the huge trees that towered over the cozy little streets that were lined with old, beautiful homes. Kenzi probably thought I was crazy. We drove around for a little bit, and then went back to the shopping district to take pictures of the amazing courthouse that was built in 1909!
I'd say our little day trip to Missoula was successful, the only thing that would have made it better was if Haley was with us the whole time! But I'm glad she was able to spend some time with an old friend :) We met back up with Haley, got taco bell and left around 9:00, not realizing that the worst drive of our life was ahead of us. We literally drove through a snowstorm for three straight hours. (By "we", I really mean Kenzi..) Thank GOODNESS she's experienced driving in snow. It was horrible, I couldn't see anything and thought for sure we were going to die. Not to mention being lost with not much gas in the middle of nowhere where probably only axe murderers live, almost getting pulled over and having little to no cell signal...it was fun, to say the least. However, we made it home safely and now have a ton of memories to cherish forever. Love those girls!
That picture does not do justice of how bad the roads were! It was pure ice. I had never been so grateful to see a "Welcome to Idaho" sign in my life :)

No comments:

Post a Comment