9.09.2012

Inspiration from Elder Holland

Elder Holland is definitely one of my favorite general authorities and I'm so glad he was chosen to speak at the CES fireside for young adult's! His words are inspiring, thought provoking, humbling, sometimes humorous and always powerful. Notes I took away from his beautiful message tonight:

-We no longer worry about Zion and WHERE we will live. It's about HOW we are to live.
-For the establishment in the 21st century, you never check your religion at the door. Not ever. {He really stressed this}
-We must stand as witnesses of God at all times, in all things, in all places and in all circumstances. Not just some of the time, in a few places or "when our team is in the lead". No true disciple of Christ can check his religion at the door.
-It’s easy to be righteous when things are calm, life is good and everything is smooth. The test is when there is real trial or temptation. When there is pressure and fatigue, anger and fear or the possibility of real transgression. Can we be faithful then? That is the question. 
-How we respond in any situation has to make things better, not worse. 
-You are individually loved of God and you are central to the meaning of His work.
-We are all Heavenly Father’s sons and daughters. We must always try to help whenever and wherever we can. 
-Reach out generously with your words and deeds.
-To be Christian at all times is the model of integrity. 
-He [Jesus Christ] will find us doing our best, trying to live the gospel, trying to improve our lives and our church & society the best we can. 
-When He comes, I so want to be caught living the gospel. I want to be surprised right in the act of spreading the faith and doing something good. I want the Savior to say to me “Jeffrey, I recognize you not by your title, but by your life; the way you’re trying to live and the standards you’re trying to defend. I see the integrity of your heart. First and foremost by trying to be good yourself, and then declaring my word and defending my gospel to others in the most compassionate way you could. I know you weren’t always successful, but I believe you honestly tried. I believe in your heart, you truly love me." 
-God loves you and He needs you in this last and greatest dispensation, when everything is accelerated and more and more is expected.
-Serve impossibly. Stretch. Allow God to work with you and do great things through you.
-Be true to each other and be friends with the Savior of the world. Know him personally, and have confidence in His company.

I just love Elder Holland so much and the messages he shares!

1 comment:

  1. first thing is first, i watched his talk today and am so glad i did. i was traveling on sunday so i wasn't able to attend, but i am so glad i took the time to listen today. it was AMAZING, beyond amazing really. he is such a powerful speaker. while the entire talk was profound, this line hit my heart the most: "hen He comes, I so want to be caught living the gospel." that statement and the words that followed touched me. it was real then, it was as if elder holland was speaking the very things of my heart and mind.

    now i need to move on before i turn into a total cry baby again, about getting your pictures in a row... i use one of two websites and create collages. here are the links for you to use, both are free websites!

    http://ipiccy.com/editor
    http://www.ribbet.com/app/#/home/welcome

    ReplyDelete