11.28.2011

Meet Lena..my dog for a day

You may or may not have noticed the picture in this post, but in one of the photos of us in the car I was holding a dog on my lap. Well, that was Lena. You see, while on our road trip, we had stopped at a gas station somewhere along the Arizona/New Mexico border, and while Jonny and Corinne were inside, I noticed a poor little dog who was so skinny you could see her ribs just hanging out behind the building. This gas station was literally just off the freeway in the middle of nowhere so I had to do something about it. She was obviously abandoned, and it broke my heart just thinking of leaving her there. Luckily there was a cute little family from Colorado who had also stopped for gas. The husband bought her a can of food and she ate it all within seconds. They couldn't keep her, because they were on vacation but the wife has worked with sheltered animals, so she checked her for any injuries or diseases. I kinda sorta begged Corinne to let me put her in the car and take her home (since it was her car...), she agreed so just like that, we gained a fifth passenger! She is the sweetest, friendliest and most loving dog, and even though Jonny wanted nothing to do with her at first, I heard him calling her "baby", petting her and admitting she was cute by the time we got home. She was extremely scared of people, and although she let me pick her up and hold her, you could tell she's been abused and treated badly by humans in the past. She never once barked, growled, snapped or anything..she would just lower her head or hide under a bush whenever someone would come near her. Poor little thing. My mom wouldn't let us keep her, so she stayed the night at our house, and then the next day we took her to the animal shelter, where they will take care of all her shots, a vet will examine her, give her a bath and will eventually be adopted. It's weird how I already love her so much, and I check the shelter's website every day to see if her adoption picture is posted yet. I really loved having a dog for a day!

p.s. We named her Lena, short for "Gasolina"..since we found her at a gas station. It's kind of dumb, but I don't know, it stuck and somehow fit her well.

1 comment:

  1. I love this! It seriously makes me so happy, you are so sweet!

    ReplyDelete