8.02.2011

17 Miracles

Last week, me and my roommates had the opportunity to go see the movie 17 Miracles. I can't even begin to describe my feelings while watching this heart-wrenching, inspirational and true story played out right in front of my eyes. The movie follows the hardships and miracles that took place during one of the Willie Handcart Company's journey west. Although the saints who walked the great plains, even during the harsh winters suffered through countless afflictions, the movie focuses on the miracles that occurred along the way.

There are so many unexplainable miracles that were portrayed in the movie. For example, the saints ran out of food and they're portions were cut tremendously. For a long time, they only had flour and water to sustain them and were going to die of starvation if help didn't come soon. One day while gathering wood for a fire, a woman was lead by a man into a cave on the side of the mountain where he had a large amount of animal jerky hanging. He told her to open her apron, and he gave her all the dried meat, as long as she promised to share with others. She was so excited that she forgot to say thank you. When she tried to go back, she could not find the cave or the man again. She whole-heartedly believes it was an angel sent from heaven to provide aid to the struggling saints. Whether he was or wasn't, it was a miracle nonetheless.  Another story involves a little girl who, overnight had frozen to death. Because the ground was too hard, they wrapped her in a blanket and placed her above ground as they continued their trek west, knowing that wolves would eventually scavenge upon her corpse. Soon after leaving, her mother remembered a blessing they're family was given that "all of the members of her family would arrive in Zion safely" They turned around and rushed back to where they had laid their daughter to rest. They try to warm her up and say a prayer, having faith that He can bring her back to life. Within minutes, their little girl opened her eyes. She eventually made it all the way to Utah, where she settled and lived a long life.

It is so easy to forget about the pioneers who completely devoted their lives to Christ and obediently followed the counsel of their leaders. Sure, some of them didn't fully know what they were getting themselves into, but for the most part, they remained faithful. They had to face mobs and protestors, starvation, lack of supplies, bitter weather, weakness, illnesses and death. However, they did so with an optimistic outlook and hope for a better future. Seriously, if you ever have the chance to watch this movie-DO! I bawled like a baby (when do I not?) and have gained a better knowledge of the love and devotion early Latter-Day Saints had. They were truly remarkable people.


I have gained a newfound respect and a whole lot of admiration for the saints who had to walk from Iowa (I think?) to the Salt Lake valley. I truly believe that we were born in different eras for a reason, because I know that I would not be able to endure the trials the early members of the church had to face. They knew that Heavenly Father and our savior, Jesus Christ would protect them and had to put all their trust in them. I'm not sure I would be too happy if I was told to leave my home and all my belongings and spent the next few months walking across the midwest in hopes for a better life, knowing that I would face incredibly difficult obstacles along the way, and might not even make it alive.

Two years ago, when we went on the pioneer trek as a youth group (kind of like, a mock mormon migration) I hated it. We had to wear pioneer clothing, could only bring a small bucket of items, and everything we did bring we pulled in our handcart. Living in Florida, it was hot and humid, and it rained all afternoon, so we had to walk in the mud, being wet and cold for several hours and into the night. When we finally made it to camp, we had to set up our tent and were given some broth to eat. It was horrible. Or, so I thought at the time. Looking back, I really wish I would have had a better attitude about the situation. What I had to go through was nothing like what the faithful, humble and unwavering pioneers had to face. The trek I went on lasted 3 days and 2 nights, the trek they went on lasted several months. I feel guilty for thinking the way I did. I have no idea what it is like to starve, or to walk for miles in a blizzard, or to lose a member of my family and have to bury them and continue walking. I wish I could go back in time and enjoy the experience more. Everyone should watch the movie before they go..no one would complain!!



"*Photo cred to Lauren Ramsey..thanks for capturing my life on camera. You're the best friend I've ever had"- quote from Lauren herself.

Anyway, I'm grateful for the early members of the church that sacrificed so much, so that I don't have to and can enjoy the blessings of the gospel today.


"Of all the stories of American pioneers and settlers, none is more inspiring than the Mormon trail...Let us remember that the Mormons of a century ago were a persecuted and prosecuted minority...While today, in the short space of 100 years, their faith and works are known and respected the world around. As the Mormons succeeded, so America can succeed...if we will not give up or turn back."
-President John Fitzgerald Kennedy


P.S. I want to marry someone like Levi Savage.

No comments:

Post a Comment