12.15.2011

Do you have room?

Every Christmas season, the thing I look MOST forward to is A Night in Bethlehem-where my church recreates the city of Bethlehem and everyone is dressed in costume..you can visit the shops, get water from the well, eat some hummus and pita, etc. Following your journey in the town, you're directed to the fire where you see Joseph and Mary traveling on a donkey searching for a place to rest and birth their baby. After being rejected from the several inns, they travel behind to a stable. Then, you are guided to the field where you witness the birth of our Savior, as the story is recited from Luke. There are live animals, the angels, shepherds and wise men appear and the music is incredible. It is such an outstanding and humbling performance, and I am moved to tears almost every time as "Oh come all ye faithful" is playing and all the towns people/shepherds are walking toward the baby Jesus to show their respect. I have an immense amount of appreciation for all of the hard work and dedication my church leaders have put in each year to create such an amazing event for the community so that we could all celebrate the true meaning of Christmas together. I am SO sad that I won't be there this year to participate/witness my favorite activity of the holiday season. It always makes me truly reflect the purpose of Christmas, have a deeper love for my Savior, Jesus Christ and enforces the desire to strive to be more like Him. This is the first year since the stake started it that I haven't been, and it is truly heartbreaking. If you are in or around the Odessa area, I HIGHLY recommend going! They ask for you to bring a canned good to donate, but if you can't that's totally fine. I promise you won't regret it. Or at least, go and take pictures/videos and send them my way so I can somewhat feel like I'm there :(


"Do you have room for the savior? And do you seek Him anew? Have you a place for the one who lived and died for you? Are you as humble as a shepherd boy, or as wise as men of old? Would you have come that night, would you have sought the light? Do you have room?......

Will you come tonight? Will you seek the light? Do you have room?"

**This is the song that is sung around the fire as Mary and Joseph are struggling to find a place to rest. One of my all-time favorites!!

1 comment:

  1. i am seriously missing this as well!! one of my fondest Christmas time memories for sure!!

    ReplyDelete